The University of Mary Washington Galleries, comprised of the Ridderhof Martin Gallery and the duPont Gallery, exhibit local, regional, and national artists as well as providing a space to show work by UMW faculty and students. The Galleries also house a permanent collection of over 6,000 art objects, primarily 20th century works by American artists.
The UMW Galleries were initially founded by art faculty members Gaetano Cecere, Dorothy Duggan Van Winckel, Julien Binford, and Pauline King.
The Ridderhof Martin Gallery opened in April of 1992 with an inaugural exhibit of the benefactor’s paintings. The building houses an exhibition space, offices, and a collection storage room. In the early 1990s, the duPont Gallery also received a much-needed renovation. The new duPont Gallery, now one large space with hardwood floors and a professional quality lighting system, opened in January 1995.
The University of Mary Washington Galleries maintain a busy and varied exhibition schedule with the help of student gallery monitors, interns, and volunteers. Meanwhile, the permanent collection, of which many pieces are exhibited in academic buildings around campus, continues to provide a resource for art, art history, and museum studies students to learn more about the visual arts and the proper care of art collections.
The University of Mary Washington Galleries, comprised of the Ridderhof Martin Gallery and the duPont Gallery, are dedicated to advancing the educational goals of the University through the collection, preservation, exhibition, and interpretation of works of art. The Galleries promote arts education on campus and in the local community.
Saturday and Sunday 1-4pm
The Galleries are closed during UMW holidays and breaks.
1301 College Avenue